Philadelphia’s Sean Thomas has been involved with subversive dance culture since 1995. Initially as one of the Circle Crew (fka Special K), throwing the massive “IT!” raves and “Yoman” club nights which helped expose proper music, sound and production throughout America’s East Coast. Later as DJ/Producer, earning his reputation and place among a storied list of Philly selectors. Terribly dedicated, Sean’s enthusiasm for well made House and Techno need be experienced on a dance floor to fully grasp. Drawing from an expansive knowledge of music and culture, his capacity to connect with crowds, transcend genre and create magic is highly developed. Compelled to explore the depths of sound and find new sonic pathways to movement, his distinct style of fearless, innovative mixing and refined selection keeps head and body engaged, awaiting each maneuver.
As source of Sound Between Movement, an independent label set up around ’99 with guidance from friend and fellow artist Pete Moss, Sean steadily established his early production identity with a string of records including the standout “Living Music” 3 part series. Tallying releases, remixes and licensing for Berlin’s Get Physical Music, Philly’s Worship Recordings and Recline Records, Northern England’s Illusion Recordings and Vancouver’s long-running Nordic Trax, Sean’s mindful approach to music production has infiltrated discerning heads and DJs across the map for many years.
Play and support of his music has come from the likes of Benji B. (BBC-Radio1, Deviation, UK), Catz ‘N Dogz (Pets, Poland), Doc Martin (Sublevel, LA), Chris Duckenfield (Swag, The Popular Peoples Front, Sheffield), Jimpster (Freerange, UK), Daniel Becker (Trickski, Berlin), Adam Shelton (One Records, UK), Pezzner (Viva, Toy Tonics, Seattle) and Philly’s own King Britt (Transmissions, Hyperdub, Five Six Media).
With countless appearances across the US and as far as the UK to his name, Sean currently contributes as Resident for rizumu, Philadelphia’s most active and longest running Techno collective. This close-knit contingent of artists has developed over 14 years into a trusted institution for loft and warehouse habitués seeking a straight ahead style, DIY attitude and music-first mentality. As his focus remains fixed on the cultivation of his city’s present/future underground, consorting with rizumu has proven a perfect pairing.
Looking forward into the future, Sean Thomas’ momentum and appeal are evident. As always, he shall proceed to further generate a standout array of useful productions and memorable mixes to raise expectation and set a tone that translates beautifully into valid vibrations, leaving you lifted.
01. Navar – Ava Mea – Proton Music
02. Per Hammar – Released Dub (Mihai Popoviciu Remix) – Danse Club
03. Dalfe – Marching Powder (Dorisburg Remix) – Pets
04. La Funk Mob – Motor Bass Gets Phunked Up (Electrophunk Remix) – Mo Wax
05. Subway – Testing – Nuphonic
06. Stefano Greppi – Manhattan – Goldmin Music
07. Washerman – Still Life – Drumpoet Community
08. L’estasi Dell’oro – Sky Unknown – Macro
09. Pablo Bolivar & Dactilar – For Russia With Love – Seven Villas
10. Jerome.c – Agnes 2 (Bodeler Remix) – Abartik
11. Mark Ambrose – Bassoon – Mosaic
12. Lionrock – Reel And Stepout – Deconstruction
13. Vincenzo & Mic Newman – Melbs – Dessous
14. V – In Time (Masters At Work Mix) – MAW