Terry “Tee” Alford, event promoter, remixer, and producer has been spinning music for over 30 years. He became interested in embellishing music in the seventies and eighties while listening to some of New York’s radio mixers like Shep Pettibone, Timmy Regisford, Danny Krivit, Tony Humphries & hosts like Frankie Crocker. By the time Tee arrived as a Temple University freshman in 1984, he had already developed a good ear for rhythm & music. Quickly seeing the need to diversify and expand the small soul music dance community in Philadelphia, he injected his own soul influences into the local college scene along with friend & fellow engineer, James Turner.
Although Tee’s sound was not well received at first, Philly & the surrounding region would soon take notice of the enthusiasm at the well attended dance concerts he co-produced both on and off campus. His artist showcases from 1985-1988 began to influence the party culture by impacting clothing fashion, street art, retail music sales, and even urban radio. Major festival productions during Philadelphia’s annual public events like the Pan-Hellenic Greek Summer Picnic in Fairmount Park and Pennsylvania Relays (1986-1992), provided a larger platform to showcase his event planning & DJ talents.
In 1988, Tee auditioned for the late, Eric Coston, to join the lineup on Philly’s first “House music” urban radio mix show on WDAS-FM. That very same year, he began his first solo club residency on Sunday nights at Club Impulse with station mate, Kenny Ebo and the rest is history. Tee has since built his own name with major radio station residences and appearances at Philly’s legendary clubs & dance parties such as Sundae, Don’t Fake the Funk, Shampoo, NYC’s Cielo & Club Shelter, Eighteenth Street Lounge in Wash, DC, plus tour dates throughout Europe & Canada.
Having been long considered a legendary pioneer for popularizing the soulful house music dance format in Philadelphia, Tee’s vision undoubtedly paved the way for a new generation of dance music producers, DJs & Promoters in the city. Several recognizable Philly & international music taste makers, were once avid regulars at Tee’s early soul music performances in the 80s & 90s. His noteworthy music/remix productions & distributed releases under the Funky People Records® label, Joint Ventures Group & the legendary Blaze Productions can still be heard on playlists to this day.
Balancing the challenges of a professional technology career, multiple business endeavors, and family, things have come full circle for the Funky People®, LLC brand in recent years. In January 2016, the weekly mix show, Funky People Radio® LIVE, heard on WURD-AM 900 radio in Philadelphia, turns 3 years old. The FP media presence has grown by leaps and bounds with the radio show’s continued popularity. There’s certainly no intentions to slow down now after the latest remix of Temika Moore’s “Every Word”, just released on Josh Milan’s Honeycomb Music imprint. Expect to hear more of Tee’s soul music sounds on the airwaves, see more creative lifestyle and entertainment activities for the Funky People® massive along with new studio projects to be released on the music label in 2016!
01. You And I (Tony Humphries Vocal Mix) – Nina Lares
02. Get On Your Feet (Pablo Martinez Mix) – Cee ElAssad f. Brittany Tanner
03. Let’s Get It (Ezel’s Afro Karib Dub) – Hallex M, DJ Eff, Mr. V f. Miss Patty
04. Quiet (Original Mix) – Soulmanik
05. Tears (Classic Club Mix) – Frankie Knuckles pres. Satoshi Tomiie w/Robert Owens
06. Blind (Frankie Knuckles Remix) – Hercules & Love Affair
07. Outta Sight (Magic Sessions Mix) – DJ Christos f. Monique Bingham
08. Sample Your Soul (Louie Vega Mix) – Nick Monaco
09. Venus & Mars (Original Mix) – France Deep
10. Wasn’t I Good? (Original Mix) – DJ Romain
11. Tired (Phaze Dee Dub Mix) – Rhemi f. Nicole Mitchell
12. Inrowd (Original Mix) – Dodha and DJ Spen
13. Time (Divine Brothers Club Mix) – Nick Holder
14. I Can’t…. (Original Mix) – Rhythmic Groove
15. You’re My Delight (M&S Sure Shot Dub) – Luyo
16. On It (Original Mix) – Kai Alce
17. Children Go Round (Regisford & Rios Instr Remix) – Dee Dee Bridgewater
18. Video Games (Manoo Edit) – Lana Del Rey
19. The Missing Color (Original Mix) – Deep Xscape f. Oscar
20. Moments in Love (Estevez Fusion Remix) – Art of Noise
Contact: [email protected]