Rob Paine’s roots run deep. From the moment he heard the deep dubby sounds of Reggae as just a youth he knew he had found his sound. His love for the heavy Reggae sounds grew into a forward movement and soon took on a life of it’s own by using the foundation of reggae music as his center piece for all his house & deep techno productions. In 1993 Rob began DJ’ing and throwing events with his crew, “Circle Productions”, who were responsible for the most popular parties and weekly club nights in Philadelphia throughout the 90’s. During this time Rob started producing a broad range of reggae and reggae influenced music including house, deep techno, broken beat, dub, and down-tempo. His unique sounds were soon being released on labels like Large, Tango, Shaboom & Greyhound just to name a few. Following the success of those tracks, his music was licensed to labels like Bedrock, Fabric & NRK. In 1998 Rob formed his own world-renowned imprint, Worship Recordings.
The Shakedown events were soon developed as an outlet to showcase his productions and the artists signed to his label. Twelve years later, the Shakedown is still going strong.
Over the years Rob has performed at some of the most exclusive clubs and events in locations like Canada, Mexico, Jamaica and London. He has played the infamous Fabric, PS1 in NYC, and Francois K’s Deep Space event. He has held monthly residencies in San Francisco, weeklies in South Beach Miami, performed year after year at the Shambhala & Soundwave festivals in BC, and is currently holding down residencies in DC and Philadelphia. When we asked Rob about holding it altogether he said “It’s really exciting to be able to switch between the two genres of house & reggae… always keeping a fresh perspective on both genres and pushing the limits with new sound elements.”
Rob produces the majority of the projects released on Worship. In 1999 he was awarded the ‘Most Innovative Producer’ by the Philadelphia City Paper. His ‘dub house’ style of production marked him as a forward thinker, blazing the path for future infusions of dub and house sounds for years to come.
He recently released ‘What You See’ EP on Matt Tolfrey’s LeftRoom Records under the name Circle with partner Keith Landis & Gerhardt Koerner (Rise 8) that is doing extremely well. Being selected by Maceo Plex for recent mix compilation. Circle also released the Dark Waves EP on Worship in January, 2014. And a 45 for the vinyl only dub label ZamZam Sounds with his bredren Ras Heights under the name Heights + Worship. You will see a lot more releases from Circle and Rob Paine’s other projects including a full length Rise 8 album and a EP on i Records.
Rob Paine is an innovator, visionary & one of the cities most prolific DJ’s, producers & musicians. He continually pushes the elements of dub into house and techno music. He has created a world renowned studio & sound system with his full commitment to the city of Philadelphia’s ever continuing music mecca. His talent shines furiously every time he performs whether it is House or Reggae or somewhere in between. Rob Paine does not disappoint. Pure quality every time.
01. Sao Brixtonio Haris & Renato Lopes (Mili Sefic remix), Laus Music
02. Point Of View (Original Mix) Point Of View, Hot Creations
03. My Life Feat. Meggy (Till Von Sein & Tigerskin Remix) Rampa, Re.you, Meggy, Rebirth
04. Look Out Feat. Overnite (Original Mix) Rampa, Hollis P Monroe, Keinemusik
05. Hidden Emotion Marvin Zeyss, Modifi Grooves
06. Hey Baby (Chris Lattner Remix) Oliver Klein, Music Is The Answer
07. About Love (Pezzner Remix) Roy Davis Jr, Classic Music Company
08. Go On Then feat. Jem Cooke (Original Mix) Kate Simko, Jem Cooke, Leftroom Records
09. Henry 85 (Original Mix) Dusky, Simple Records
10. Deepchild (Derek Marin Remix) Riyadh, Thoughtless Music
11. End Of The Night (Audiojack Remix) We Love, Bpitch Control
12. What You Need (Original Mix) Alfred Taylor, Lower East
13. Get Together (Vlad Caia Dub) Cristi Cons, Optimal Records
14. In love’ (Unknown Promo)
15. Sunday 65′ Nico Lahs, Ovum Recordings
16. Music & Emotion (Emotionally Gated Dub) Circle, Worship Recordings
17. Deep Breath (‘It’ After Hours Mix) Circle, Worship Recordings
18. Alone (Pezzner Wink Interpretation) Bugsby, Dirty Channel, Ovum Recordings
19. Nouinceput’ Vid, Brouqade
20. I Come Loudly (Remix) Lo Fish, Stab Recordings
21. You Are (Original Mix) Purple Velvet, Exploited